Thank You For Visiting Our Blog, FEEL BETTER AND LIVE LONGER!

The purpose of our blog is to share what we have learned about nutrition, weight loss, fitness, and health, in order to help you find ways to feel better and live longer. It is amazing how much our diet and lifestyle affect our health and well-being.

Did you know that you can reduce your risk and even prevent many diseases and health conditions simply by making some changes to your diet? Check back often for valuable tips and information.


HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT & KEEP IT OFF:

For the first time in my life I have found weight loss success. During my adult life I have tried dozens and dozens of so-called "diets" and none of them worked over the long-haul. Oh, I was able to lose weight with some of them, but once I went off of the "diet" I quickly gained back all of my weight (plus some).

I have finally learned that losing weight has to be a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix. Crash diets and all the other crazy diets will not only cause you to fail, they are harmful to your health. To lose weight and keep it off you must NOT go on a "diet." What? Why? Because we all consider a "diet" a temporary thing. For example, how many times have you said, "Oh, I will go on this low-fat diet until I lose 20 pounds." Okay, what happens after you lose the 20 pounds? Or you simply give up? You go back to your old habits and gain that 20 pounds back.

The only way you will ever be successful at losing weight, with the added benefit of improving your health, is to make healthy changes that you can live with for the rest of your life. Period. Not for a week, a month or 3 months, but for life. For me, my initial goal was to lower my cholesterol level. I had to have a blood test for my insurance coverage and my cholesterol level had to be lower than the previous year's levels or I would have to pay a much higher premium. Well, that was a pretty good incentive for me make some positive changes.

I sat down and figured out what I needed to do. I knew I had to change the way I ate and I knew I had to exercise in some form or other every day. So, I made a list and I stuck to it. It was difficult at first. To make matters worse, I am a compulsive eater. However, as the days went by, it became much easier because my body stopped craving sweets and processed foods. For the first time in my life, I was never tempted to binge because I never felt deprived.

Use the list below and make whatever changes you need to make in order for it to work for you. FYI, my cholesterol level dropped 65 points after 7 weeks, and my triglycerides dropped 70 points!
Another benefit that I hadn't planned on was that after being an insomniac since my teen-age years, I now sleep like a baby every night!

MY LIST FOR WEIGHT LOSS SUCESS:

1. Avoid "white" Foods & Processed Foods.
These foods have no nutritional value and are "empty" calories. Sweets, anything made with white flour,and anything that comes in a package with a long list of ingredients.
Always read the food labels. Stay away from those long lists of ingredients. The longer the list, the more chemicals and additives are present. These are extremely toxic to your body.


2. Drink Lots of
Water. Water keeps your body's organs hydrated and flushes out unhealthy toxins. It helps to fill you up and reduces your urge to over-eat.


3. Eat a Healthy Breakfast.
Instead of coffee and donuts, try fruit, yogurt, grains like oatmeal or whole grain toast, and lean protein. NEVER skip breakfast. By eating a large, healthy meal when you get up in the morning, your metabolism will "rev up" and you will not be hungry by mid-morning. If you skip breakfast, your
body will go into starvation mode and store calories in your body as FAT, yes FAT! So do yourself a big favor and eat breakfast.


4. Reduce Your Stress Level.
So many of us live with too much
stress. Stress lowers your immune system, making it easier to get sick. It also makes us lethargic, tired, and depressed. There are a lot of simple things you can do and a lot of ways to feel better about yourself and your life. Take a long, hot bath, read a book, listen to music, get a massage. Do something nice for yourself. Giving yourself something to look forward to is a tremendous mental incentive.


5. Move!
Oh my gosh! There are so many ways to incorporate movement into your day, even at work. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Get up every hour and walk around your floor, your hallway or your desk. Park your car in the farthest space from where you need to be. Walk or bike to work. Skate, dance, golf, jump rope, clean house, play tag. The best exercise you can do is to walk. Try to take a walk every day! The more you move, the more your metabolism will be your friend. (I walk 3 miles every day whether it is raining, snowing or freezing.)


How to Stay Young

1. Choose To Be Happy. No one but you has the power to make you happy. Happiness is not dependent upon external circumstances; whether you are married to the person of your dreams, how much money you have, what kind of house you live in, or whether you are having a “good” or “bad” day. It is a choice that you make. Period. Choose wisely.


2. Surround Yourself with What You Love. Whether it’s your family, your pets, your hobbies, your music or your books. Your home is your refuge no matter where it is or how big or small it is. If it is where you live, fill it with what makes you happy.

3. Laugh. It’s such a simple thing yet so difficult for so many. It doesn’t matter what your life is about, how dull, boring or challenging. Turn the corners of your mouth up. Open your mouth and let out a big ole’ guffaw. Laugh until you gasp for breath. There is no better medicine for sadness or worry.

4. Keep Learning. Never let your mind become idle. Learn how to crochet, how to use new computer software, how to play an instrument or how to dance. Keeping your mind active and challenged keeps it healthy and greatly reduces your risk for any type of dementia. Plus, learning new things is always fun!

5. Surround Yourself with Cheerful Friends. Being with people who are grouchy pulls you down to their level of dissatisfaction. Spend time with those who share your love of life.

6. Take a Walk Every Day.  Walking is the best medicine for feeling down or out of sorts. When we exercise and our heart rate increases, our bodies produce a feel good hormone called serotonin that improves your mood and feelings of well-being. Walking reduces the effects of stress in our bodies, contributing to the relaxing and therapeutic effects. It is also a good way to remove yourself from any of the things that make you feel stressed, tired or angry, replacing those feelings with calm and tranquility. Plus your body is getting a great workout, a win-win-win situation!

7. Cherish Your Health. If your health is good, keep it that way. Eat healthy, exercise and reduce your stress levels. If your health is not good, take the necessary steps to improve it. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel when you follow a healthy lifestyle. If you have problems that are beyond any changes you can make, get help.

8. Don’t Survive Life, Live It! Sh*t happens. Deal with it and move on. Life is short and the only person who is with you the entire time is yourself. Only you have the power to choose. Choose happiness!

0 comments:

Post a Comment